Saturday 17 May 2008

News

I decided to wait until the ink was dry(ish) on the paper before announcing anything but, as one or two of you know, Macmillan have agreed to publish the next three books in what will be my "Herring Seller" series. This announcement has been held up mainly by my touching belief that I could negotiate a contract as well as any agent - something that has probably ensured that the ink remained good and wet for several weeks longer than planned. (A tip for those of you also without agents, by the way - the Society of Authors will give you good, prompt advice on your contract, draft by draft - it's well worth joining, just for that.)

The books are scheduled to appear in August 2009, 2010, 2011. The first is provisionally entitled Ten Little Herrings.

So that makes two of us MNWers, as far as I know, with contracts with Pan Macmillan for the third book and beyond. Hopefully this sort of announcement will now become a regular occurance over the next twelve months or so.

Now all I have to do is write the books ....

14 comments:

Frances Garrood said...

Many congratulations, Len. That's an amazing achievement, and I'm really delighted for you.

Tim Stretton said...

Great news, Len - not just for you, but for all those of us who enjoy your writing so much!

Alis said...

That's fantastic, Len - many congratulations. I shall raise a glass to all your Herrings when we open a bottle of white this evening!

David Isaak said...

Marvelous news! I'm looking forward to them.

Eliza Graham said...

Wow, Len! That's so impressive. Many congratulations.

Brian McGilloway said...

Hi Len

Glad to hear the news (finally). Sincere congratulations. Here's to many more such announcements!
Brian

no said...

Len - that is tremendous news! So pleased for you, and so well deserved. Hurrah!

Ann Weisgarber said...

Congratulations, Len. This is as good as it gets. Has it sunk in yet?

When your book comes out next year and when you're on your U.S. tour, you have to come to Houston. I'll round up a crowd and we'll show up in mass for your reading.

mattfwcurran.com Web Admin said...

Fantastic news, Len

And thanks for the Society of Authors tip - I may well sign up...

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Len.

Len Tyler said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I look forward to being able to return the compliment!

Ann - congratulations on your book and many thanks for the invitation! Nobody has yet suggested that it would be worth my while (from a sales point of view anyway) touring the US, but I'm due to meet up with my US publisher in the next few days. I'll tell her I have to go to Houston!

Maggie Dana said...

Len, this is grand news indeed. Congratulations.

Ann Weisgarber said...

Len, you cracked the U.S. market so you must come here if only to see your book in an American bookstore. That will be a thrill.

Please keep us posted on the process of publishing with Macmillan. Best of luck as you meet with your editor.

Faye L. Booth said...

Congratulations! Best of luck with all of them.