Friday 2 November 2007

Introducing Frances Garrood


Hi, all. Me, sticking my nose in once again. As Frances is too shy to properly introduce herself, I should note that the post just below is from Frances Garrood, the author of Dead Ernest. For those who haven't read it...well, you should. A very funny, touching book that at a few points had me thrusting my fists into the air and shouting, "Yes!" Much to the puzzlement of my fellow passengers, I might add (I read it on a plane).

Even Grumpy Old Bookman, who is usually a little, erm, grumpy, and generally disinclined to favor--how do I put this? Oh, to hell with it--estrogen-flavored literature, thought it was a great read. I'm jazzed that she has another book in the pipeline.

1 comment:

Ros Browne said...

I've only just found this post. My comment amay be 3 years late, but better late than never. It really is high time "Dead Ernest" was given the credit it so richly deserves. It is one of the few books I have read where I wanted to go back to go back to page 1 and start all over again the minute I'd finished it. It blew me away. Her second book, "The Birds, The Bees And Other Secrets" had the same effect on me. Frances Garrood has the happy knack of making the reader want to laugh and cry at the same time. The humour is delicious the charaters warm and well drawn and her writing has an ease and beauty that is truly unique