Tuesday 19 August 2008

Macmillan New Writing - The Gathering

Yep, it sounds like a dodgy film (like Highlander, or some-such) but urged on by an e-mail from Frances, it’s about time for a meet-up/gathering/get-together/shindig/hoohah etc. for the MNW crew.
We’ve had a couple of big ones in the past, namely the first launch for the imprint way back in April 2006 and for Mike Barnard’s retirement, not to mention the occasional meet-ups for book launches over the last two years, but recently there’s been nothing with more than several of the writers in attendance at any one time. Frances thinks this should be rectified, and so do I.

So I’m throwing this out to you all to see what you think. Frances suggested a meet-up sometime in December, which I could do, and I’ll throw in January as possible month because I can do that too. Ideally it would involve a big lunch in London and/or an evening out drinking and chatting. We could combine it with a book launch or we could just pick a date the majority agree on. I’d love it if our non-UK authors could hop over the Atlantic, from India, Australia etc to join up but I’ll understand if it’s a trip too far.

So. What do you reckon then? Anyone up for this? And if so, when do you reckon?

(And by the way, this invitation isn’t just limited to the Macmillan New Writers – anyone else who frequents this blog is invited too. When it comes to chatting and drinking with friends, I’m not exclusive.)

8 comments:

Len Tyler said...

A great idea. Count me in!

no said...

Yes, me too - would love to meet up.

Frances Garrood said...

I wonder whether November would be better than December, which might be too near Christmas. November's a horrible month (almost as nasty as August, Faye!), so we could cheer it up with a party.

Alis said...

Definitely, great idea. I'd love to meet up with people I only ever get to speak to electronically!

Brian McGilloway said...

Sounds like a good plan. Not sure when I'd be able to get across from this side of the Irish Sea, between work and family commitments though I might be over in England during the last week in Oct.

Sion Scott-Wilson said...

I'd love to do this. I'm not sure about my movements yet. But if it's around Dec/Jan I may be back in the UK for Christmas.
It'll be great to see you all.

Best
Sion

Ellie said...

I really would try to get to this but my time isn't often my own in the evenings. But when you've found a date I will do my level best to be there because it sounds like great fun!

Tim Stretton said...

Definitely up for this!

November's better than December but I'm sure I could do either...