Saturday 17 March 2012

Sad News

Mary, the wife of Macmillan author Ryan David Jahn, died earlier this week. Ryan’s deeply moving account of her fight against cancer is on his blog.

He tells the story so eloquently that I am reluctant to add anything of my own other than my most sincere condolences. Her death at such a young age is a tragedy and has shocked me and everyone I have spoken to about it.

As authors, we write not for ourselves but because we have something we wish to share - hopefully with a wider public but always with those that we love and are closest to. One of my regrets is that my parents didn’t live to see the publication of my first novel. Mary did at least see Ryan’s early successes; it is sad that she will not be there to celebrate with him the many great books that are still to come.

My deepest sympathies to Ryan, and to his and Mary’s families.

5 comments:

Frances Garrood said...

This is such terribly sad news. I'm sure all of us are thinking of him and his family at a dreadfully difficult time.

no said...

Such sad news. thanks Len for posting this, and expressing how we all feel.

mattfwcurran.com Web Admin said...

Thanks for posting this, Len. Very sad news indeed.

Tim Stretton said...

Thanks for posting, Len. I can only imagine what Ryan and his family are feeling.

Ann Weisgarber said...

This sad news puts everything into perspective. The little bumps in life are just that -- little bumps. Ryan's loss is without measure and I wish him courage as he faces life without Mary.