Thursday 4 June 2009

Party at Southbank Centre

What an evening I had at the Orange awards party held at Southbank Centre. It was perfect except for one minor detail. Rachel DuPree didn't win the award for new writers. Francesca Kay's An Equal Stillness won, and it is a beautifully written novel. I can't complain about losing to such a fine writer.

Marilynne Robinson's Home won the Orange Prize. I was disappointed Picador's Scottsboro by Ellen Feldman didn't recieve the award. I really love that book.

The Pan Macmillan team rallied behind me, and that made all the difference. It was also nice that David and Daniel from Goldsboro Bookshop were able to be at the party. And what a party. It was lavish and beautiful and the drinks flowed non-stop. No wonder it's considered THE event for the publishing industry.

I appreciate all of your support and good wishes. It's been a blast, and best of all I survived the reading on Monday evening. Now I can simply enjoy my last two days in London and then it's home to hot, humid Houston.

10 comments:

Tim Stretton said...

Ann, sorry you didn't win. But it's still absolutely brilliant to have earned so much good publicity. To have written a wonderful book, and have that recognised by your peers...it doesn't get much better than that, right?

Eliza Graham said...

I echo Tim's words. This has been so exciting for all of us and we are so proud of you.

Maggie Dana said...

Ann ... to have come so far is an honour all writers can only dream of. Your book is one that will resonate with readers for a long time to come, and so will you. Am proud to call you a friend.

Frances Garrood said...

There's little to add to what the others have said, except that Rachel has blazed a glorious trail for us all. Long may it continue!

Brian McGilloway said...

Congratulations on getting so far, Ann, and on having your work recognised in such a manner. I'm sure it will not be long before we see your name attached to such an award again.

Alis said...

Drat! I was so hoping Rachel would win... Still, as everybody else has said it's wonderful to have got this far. Looking forward very much to meeting you later on today!

Faye L. Booth said...

I can only congratulate you on all the incredible achievements you have made with Rachel. The invaluable reward in a literary prize is the attention and recognition being listed brings, and you don't have to win to reap those benefits. It's a pity you didn't win, but your triumph must be far greater than any regret!

Congrats again.

F x

Doug Worgul said...

Your achievement is an example and inspiration to us all, Ann. You're to be highly congratulated for being an honored guest at the party. You're in the Big Leagues now.

drw

mattfwcurran.com Web Admin said...

You know, Ann, this doesn't feel like commiserations at all, as to get this far is a fantastic achievement. Glad you enjoyed the party - sounds typically London-decadent (and who says the book world is dominated by heavy drinking publishers? I'm certain each and every one was sober!) Huge congratulations again on Rachel DuPree… the first of many successes I reckon…

Ann Weisgarber said...

Thanks everyone for all your support and positive comments. I really, really, really wanted to win, but that's the way it goes. I'll always be proud of the double listing. Rachel DuPree went to the judges without blurbs or reviews, and it didn't matter. That says a lot about the judges. They didn't have to be prompted to like the book. The book stood firm all by itself, and I'm proud of that.